#2010was...for me, heartbreaking. While there were many happy occasions that shouldn't be overshadowed by the difficult things, there were losses in my immediate and extended family that were nothing short of devastating.
First was Ely's brother Danny. (for those who don't know I lost my best friend who was practically family--my sister and my childrens' Godmother-way before her time in 1998). On March 13, I received a phone call from home telling me that Danny was gone. Memories of him as a teenager just ran thru my head...and the thought of a mother who was now without her 2 oldest children terrified me.
Just a few days later, my beautiful weimaraner Misty lost her life while protecting her family and her puppy Daisy. My faithful companion is gone. I still have a hard time accepting it. I'm so grateful to have Daisy but even she misses her Mommy.
On March 24th-- my Twins' Birthday, my family suffered yet another loss. My Grandmother's cousin Connie, a wonderful woman who was like an Aunt to my Mom and I passed away. While it was expected (she wasn't doing well) it was still a devastating loss of a wonderful woman and the timing couldn't have been worse as my Grandfather was nearing his last breath. Grandma was very close to Connie + they spoke on the phone almost daily.
On April 5th I received a phone call from my Mom saying that Grandpa was on his last breath and seemed to be holding on for me. I knew that cancer was beating him and that the end was near, but no matter how much warning you have you're never prepared. I made it to him in time to watch him take his last breath. There aren't enough words to describe what affect this had on me. Devastation is an understatement for this loss. The majority of my childhood was spent with Grandpa. I was the only child AND the only grandkid. I had Grandpa's undivided attention growing up. What hurts me most right now is that I'm miles away from my Grandma who has lost her husband of 59 years and trusts noone but her family to help her and I'm not there to help her. I am still deeply hurt by the loss of my Grandfather...they say time heals everything-well time hasn't started doing its healing for me yet.
In November my husband gave himself (and ME! ,and our entire family) a good scare when he called me to take him to the hospital for a never-ending nosebleed. It's a good thing we went...turned out to be a burst artery behind his eye and nose. The possible cause? A spike in his blood pressure. Other causes could have been kidney or liver issues. Thankfully the doctors were able to rule those out. After determining the location of the bleeding and clearing up an infection he developed at the hospital he had surgery to stop the bleeding. Mike now has teeny-tiny titanium staples in his head near his eye. (The TSA would love that!) He's still in the recovery process but he's better every day. The good things that came out of this: (1) he quit smoking; (2) it scared my family enough to put my Dad on a plane to come help us out while Mike recovered from the surgery. It was my Dad's first time to our house since we moved to GA.
Now, on to some better things.
#2010was...the year my Shorties graduated from Kindergarten! Now my 2 little 1st graders are in separate classes-huge step for them.
#2010was...the 1st year that all 4 of my kids were able to spend quality time with my parents. They had an unforgettable summer!
#2010was...the year that the Atlanta Braves made it to the playoffs! Very happy to say that my family and I enjoyed game 4 at Turner Field. Even though we didn't win it was an event the kids, Mike and I will remember for a lifetime!
#2010was...the year Bobby Cox retired as the Braves' Manager. No, this wasn't exactly a 'happy' moment but the ceremony was incredible.
#2010was...the year I discovered Twitter has lots of users like Mike and I who are every day folks who happen to like baseball. Those same people became some good listeners when I whined, bitched or moaned. Thanks, guys!
#2010was...the year some friends old and new stepped forward and helped my family and I out thru some very difficult times. I am grateful for such wonderful friends!
#2010was...the year my Niece got married and I couldn't be happier for her! The added bonus:I'll never forget their anniversary-they got married the day after my birthday. The wedding and all the events surrounding it were absolutely beautiful!
#2010was...when my youngest cousin who is still a baby to me even though she's all grown up had her 1st child! My Niece's wedding plans made it possible for me to attend the baby shower. Hopefully I'll be seeing the baby soon!
#2010was...a great Christmas for my kids. Lots of quality time was spent making memories in the kitchen and lots of great gifts were given and received.
#2010was...a year that brought my family together thru difficult times-- and thru good times.
. . .so here's to a great 2011!
I hope I haven't forgotten anything or anyone. Happy New Year!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete